Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The red pen...


Well, I got my public policy paper back today. This is the one I have been blogging about...the only thing that I have really been blogging about!

I love my public policy class. My professor is one of the best professors I have ever had! She is so smart and can really teach this subject so that it is interesting and you can understand what is going on and enjoy it!

When I was typing this paper, I felt like a fish out of water. I have never done a paper with footnotes before. I always use APA style, which I pride myself in knowing, but with my research all being governmental based, I was not sure if I was citing it correctly and really felt like my professor was going to think I was a loser after she read my paper. I really wanted my professor to respect me. She is just great! She knows our names and talks to us at conferences and just gets very excited about public policy.

Anyways, as I was driving to class today I was kicking myself for not having Joshua read over my paper and tell me what I should change or point out what doesn't make sense. I was fully prepared to have to take the class again because I knew I probably failed this project.

When she handed back the papers, I flipped to the back in search of the damn read pen score, the dreaded red pen and saw 99% circled!!!! I teared up because I was so shocked! I wanted to run to the front of the room and embrace my professor that I look up to so much...she has asthma though so lord knows I end up taking her to the emergency room and she would fail me for being crazy!

Here is what followed the 99%:

This is a well researched and well developed paper, Rachel. I'm glad you were able to interview with Senators Costa and Fontana even if you don't agree with their support of the proposed legislation---and I appreciate your own thoughtful analysis of the positives and negatives of this bill. This paper was a pleasure to read!

I really hope people do not think I am a jerk, but this kind of thing does not happen to me often. It's really encouraging when it comes from someone you really hold in regard.

Anyways, thanks for sharing in my excitement!

6 comments:

Joshua said...

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! RACHEL!

P.S. You're supposed to suck up to the prof BEFORE they grade... not after. ;)

Unknown said...

YEA RACHELLLLLLLL!!!! I know how hard you worked and I know how big this is-I'm so proud of you----nice work small friend!!!

Sara B. said...

You already told me about your paper, but since you formally blogged it, I wanted to formally comment and say congrats!!

And thanks for the lovely comment on my blog. I'm glad that you're reading. :)

Tim and Deane said...

Yeah!!! Rachel!!!!! Congratulations on the awesome Red Pen score. I know you worked really hard on it, and we really enjoyed hearing about your thoughts and the process.

By the way, your posting deserves an awesome Red Pen score as well.

You can hug your teacher when you graduate.

Joshua said...

Oh, my bad... I went on here looking for a new post. I'll just sit here and wait...


...

...

Nope, I'll be back later.

Tim and Deane said...

POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
I wonder how long it will take Rachel to find out that her husband wrote a note at the bottom of her blog. (July 9, 2008) ;)