Thursday, February 22, 2007

New Orleans and Haiti

Joshua and I are going with two other leaders from WJU to New Orleans tomorrow with 20 college students for spring break! We went last January, so it will be interesting to see how things have changed. I am afraid that it will feel like they have not changed much at all.

I have been to a small village in Haiti two times and going back a second time was one of the best things I could have ever done. It was helpful for me to learn that while these folks live a very different life than me, they are still some of the most joyful people I have ever met. I left the second time with a sense of joy and hope that life happens at the pace that they are familiar and comfortable with and while they greatly appreciate "our" help, they are content with their lives. I love the people of Haiti and they will always hold a dear place in my heart.

Going to New Orleans last January was a completely different feel from Haiti. They very much looked similar in a lot of ways after the levies broke, but the attitude and sense of morale were very opposite. Of course I understand that New Orleans had just experienced a major natural disaster and a series of unfortunate events, but I could not help comparing my experience to Haiti, who also experiences natural disasters on a fairly regular basis and has for the most part of it's entire existence experienced series of unfortunate events.

Because this devastation happened in the United States it has had a very different reaction. It was amazing to me how many people were shocked that something like that could happen in the US. I'm not saying that we should not be helping down in New Orleans, because I clearly see the need and am thankful that I am able to help out in a small way, but Americans never surprise me I guess.

Being there last year, and helping was some of the hardest physical labor I have ever done. I can see how people feel like it is an overwhelming problem and basically that's because it is. With what I have learned from being in Haiti (and also knowing folks who have been going there for the past 13 years), you have to have perseverance and hope that small change is big change. You have to continue living life and celebrating ever step of the way.

Below are some pictures from last year when we were in New Orleans. I thought I would give a small glimpse into what we will actually be doing for our 6 full work days while we are there.

This is a picture from the 9th Ward. This was the area closest to the levies. From what I understand this area is still pretty much untouched because the folks that lived here were displaced all over and most have not made an attempt to come back for various reasons.


This picture is from one of the homes that we worked on. As you can see mold is everywhere. This house was in one of those neighborhoods that you saw in pictures or on the news where water was right to the roof tops. This homeowners neighbors were rescued from their roof.


So basically what we do is take everything out. This house was full of furniture and everything as it was on the day the levies broke. I had to unload the dishwasher and sink in this home before we could rip them out of the wall.


Everything that we take out of the house we take straight to the curb and pile it up high. FEMA drives around the neighborhoods every day or so and picks up all the trash.


So, this is what we are headed to do. We will be staying in a lodging type place near downtown. Last year we were usually so tired by the end of the day that we all just ate dinner, showered and talked for a little while before heading to bed. We hope to get out a little more this time.

I will share pictures after we return!

2 comments:

Jim Elek said...

Hey- I thought you were coming here for Spring Break!! I am glad that you could do this instead. It is important and more people need to be as selfless as you and Josh are. I hope you still find soem time to make it to VA though!

Rachel Elek said...

I do not take pictures anymore now that I am married to Joshua. All the pictures he took were in that slide show he made on his blog.

I will post something new though.

 
I wonder how long it will take Rachel to find out that her husband wrote a note at the bottom of her blog. (July 9, 2008) ;)