Thursday, July 9, 2009

dropping rocks


So today I had to run to the post office to mail something. What I needed to mail was small, but I needed to bring my phone, the address, a pen and my debit card. Then I got to thinking...we have some rocks that we need to get rid of. No big deal, right? Well in the city it's a little more complicated then that, well probably not but I seem to find easy tasks more difficult I guess! In my mind the rocks needed to be "distributed to and fro," so as to not look as if they were "dumped."

Well, I got an old "CCO messenger" back out that I have and loaded my few small items and then the rocks that I needed to get rid of. There were three larger rocks and then about 20 smaller rocks. I put on my "peddle pushers" and headed to the bike room.

I got on my bike and headed down the street. I turned down a side street knowing of an alley that was coming up, reached into my bag and grabbed one of the large rocks. As I approached the alley I checked to make sure there was no one standing, sleeping or digging through the dumpsters. The coast was clear and I chucked the rock down the alley. Unfortunately it hit the corner of the building and rolled onto the sidewalk. I kept going! I was nervous!

So my adrenaline was pumping at this point so I rode for awhile before I attempted another drop since the first drop was not so successful. As I was headed down another side street I thought I would try a handful of the smaller rocks to see how I did with those. I reached in my bag grabbed as many as I could hold and then placed my hand on my handle bar as if I was holding on a one by one every few feet I dropped a small rock. It was a smashing success! I felt like the guy in Shawshank Redemption when he shook the rocks out of his pants pockets in the courtyard and no one knew!

So with my new found success I grabbed another handful of small rocks placed my hand on the handle bar and was about to begin dropping again when I realized a car was coming up next to me and I was approaching a stop sign. No problem...I reached with my opposite hand for the hand brake and DANG IT that's the brake that doesn't work and my other hand is full of rocks so I can't grab the brake!!!! I quickly head full speed for the curb, luckily I had enough momentum that I cleared the curb and then continued to fly out of control across the corner of the adjoining streets through the grass and just let myself come to a halting stop with the use of my foot!!! Whew!!! And I was still holding all of the rocks!!! I'm awesome!

I caught my breathe, thanked the good Lord that I made it through the drama and then grabbed one of the big rocks with my other hand and just dropped it since I was standing still and there was no one around. I then continued on my bike ride and dropped the rest of my rocks successfully and made sure the hand was free for the brake that worked!

I just thought it was a funny adventure and I thought it would be fun to share!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is it that you accumulated so many rocks in an urban apartment? I am tremendously curious because I have never faced this dilemma.....

~Chandra

Jenny and Matt said...

can totally see your face and hear your voice telling me this story! Haha!

Carrie Babcock said...

That is awesome. Thanks for the laugh!!!

Adam T. Babcock said...

Dude: you should have mailed them to me. I could have put them in the garden or made concrete...err, yeah, that is a great story! Be sure that Joshua tells you about the chips and salsa and throw-up at Tlaquepaque...hooray for kids.
-Babs

Rachel Elek said...

Ok, so I did not have a lot of time to write the story earlier today so I did leave some details out and also saw that I had some typos!

The rocks were accumulated over the last 3 1/2 years. Josh would grab a rock from special occasions that we had been a part of. We had them in a memory box, but through the many moves in the last two years the rocks shifted and we did not know which came from which memory. Josh decided that we should just get rid of them because we kept shifting them around the apartment here in Chicago and space is limited in our apartment. He put them on the window sill outside of one of the windows in our room, but the sill is on the slightest of slants away from the building so I felt nervous about them being out there. I did not want them to fall 5 flights down and hurt someone. So, I had brought them back into the safety of the apartment two days ago.

When I was getting ready for the bike ride I thought to myself, "Now is there anything else that I need to do that can help save time?" I love to multitask and save time. I feel that I am helping the whole world in some very small way.

So I saw the rocks and my wheels starting turning.

Josh asked me, "Why did you not just take them to the alley out the back door? There is broken glass and all sorts of things and no one would notice the rocks?"

I replied, "I did not even think about it and besides, once I had the vision of dropping the rocks I could not pass up this opportunity!"

So, I hope this information helps answer some questions. I know people think I'm weird, but hey, we are in a recession and any crazy story that takes our mind off negative things is a good thing, right?

Sarah Diane said...

Rachel, I laughed out loud- great story. Oh, and I can relate to the collection of rocks, I have that same habit. Someday I may need your advise on disposing of them.
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the back ground information!

Like you, I would not have thought of the simplest way to dispose of them either. Your way IS much more fun!

~Chandra

Heather said...

funny story. i was wondering about the rocks too. i love the picture.

That's A Rapp said...

Rachel,
You are hilarious! I am just so sad that there is no video of your adventure. I can see it in my head and man, it makes me miss you!

Joshua said...

We are in a recession? You're CRAZY!

Tim and Deane said...

Next time you have too many memory rocks, bring them home. I put a load of them in the patio fountain. I have not idea what rock is from what place, so memory rocks are not terribly effective. - Except one old rock that I know came from Lakeside. It looks a little like an old man, and it lives on the mantel. It came home with us the summer Joshua stood rocks up on end to make a "rock scape" - and made Lakeside look as if aliens landed and created a magnetic imbalance.

 
I wonder how long it will take Rachel to find out that her husband wrote a note at the bottom of her blog. (July 9, 2008) ;)