Thursday, August 28, 2008

A tooth, freckles and the DNC


Norah finally got her first tooth. The above picture is not of Norah. If I tried to take that picture she would single handily put me in the hospital. She is not down with anyone putting their finger in her mouth let alone taking a photo shoot. Last night I practically had to pin her down to try to get a quick look. I saw it but it was not a pretty scene afterwards. She was mad. It's funny though because she shoves her whole hand into my mouth because she finds my teeth interesting.

She really has not had too much of the common signs of teething. It's funny how everyone asks if she is teething. I do not know how I am supposed to know. I think maybe twice she was upset and we gave her something cold to suck on and she was fine. She does not really drool and she sleeps through the night with no problems still.

************************

Norah is also in a phase where she will see a little speck on the floor and she will crawl to it and put it in her mouth. Tonight we were sitting on the couch together and she kept trying to "pick up" my freckles and eat them. She would think she had it and put it up to her mouth and chew and look up at me! It was sweet!

**************************

So tonight is the night that Barack Obama accepts the Democratic Nomination. I have been a supporter of his since the beginning. Now that we live down the street from him, it has been really interesting to observe the secret service around their house. Things have really beefed up since he got back from vacation.

All that aside, I was thinking today on the drive home from work about how significant tonight will be. Whether you like Barack Obama or not, this is history in the making. It really is amazing to think about the state of racism and the United States just 40 or 50 years ago. Now let me make it clear that I do not think that because Barack is the nominee that all race problems and racism is over. I do not agree with that at all. I believe part of what would make his presidency amazing is the fact that the United States would have race issues raised more and things could be discussed on hopefully a more productive basis. Not necessarily because Barack is raising them, but I think, in a good way, people would do some self-reflecting and engage in conversation with others about cultural differences, their own personal views and how things can change for the better.

I look forward to his speech tonight.



2 comments:

Joshua said...

I'm just a little confused, because the only freckles Rachel has are on her butt.

;)

Anonymous said...

That's gross!!

I was thinking that if you bring her here then when Gizmo shares her food (the hard way) I won't have to clean it up. Norah can be like my little spot bot :)

J-Dog

 
I wonder how long it will take Rachel to find out that her husband wrote a note at the bottom of her blog. (July 9, 2008) ;)