Friday, February 1, 2008

Breastfeeding

****Warning: If this topic makes you uncomfortable I apologize and you can stop reading. ****

I feel like I will talk about this topic for the rest of my life because it is a daily conversation with my husband, who thankfully can tolerate my endless questioning and guessing. I go up and down about it all day long as far as liking it and not liking it. I can understand why women do not want to stick with it for too long and I also realize that people have very strong opinions about it and are usually not shy about letting you know through verbal or nonverbal communication. One person said to me, and they were someone I do not know all that well, "Are you breastfeeding?" I said, "Well, I am pumping and giving her bottles." She replied, "Well, I guess she is getting the important part, but she is not getting to bond with mommy." I'm not even going to address how frustrating that is...

I think part of the reason I struggled with it so much in the beginning was because we traveled for 20 days after Norah was only 12 days old. We only get one really big break from campus, so we choose to still travel to see our friends and families, but it was physically exhausting for me in the end. I am glad that we did because everyone got to spend a lot of time with Norah, but in the future we will probably stay at home for the first month of the babies life. I am just now taking naps when Norah does and I love it! I felt a little guilty at first and kinda lazy but then I realized that I never did that her whole first month of life, so it feels wonderful now!

Ok, back to breastfeeding. I think the benefits for Norah are great and in the end that is what I want for her, but it is very time consuming. Because of all of our traveling in the beginning and I got sick a couple of times I ended up pumping mostly. It was good for me at the time because we have such big families and I wanted to be able to visit with people and not be in a back room the whole time. It was what helped me not feel crazy. My emotions were all over the place, so I just needed to do what I needed to do to make myself be a better mom in the end for Norah.

Since that trip I have been on again off again with actual breastfeeding. I had some pain in the beginning, which ended up being a blocked milk duct and that got worked out through Norah feeding.

The biggest problem has been my milk supply being low. I have done lots of reading and talking to others about what to do about it. In some sense I just don't know if I will ever have enough for her. We have to use formula in the evening since I do not have enough for the whole day. It's been helpful to talk to other friends that have had the same struggle. It's just interesting how it comes so easy for some and not so easy for others. I would probably put myself somewhere in the middle I guess.

I am very thankful that Norah can go between nursing, bottles and pacifiers with no problems. I'm glad that I introduced the bottle to her earlier on because she is so flexible now. I know that's not always the case for some babies, but it worked with Norah.

So for now I am back to nursing for the most part. If I need to be gone during a feeding or out and about I have no problem giving her formula.... which is another topic in and of itself.

I think formula is fine and that is also something that I have found people having a lot of opinions on. I just feel bad for people that do struggle with nursing and are not able to do it or for single moms that use formula for the sake of sanity and convenience. As our friend who is a pediatrician reminded us, she was strictly formula feed and she is a doctor! Good enough!

Joshua has been really great throughout these last two months! That first month especially was rough. I questioned everything and cried often! He was always there to give me a hug and help think through everything logically, which I was unable to do most of the time! He has been so laid back about it, which helps me to be laid back. That is generally how we work together and I definitely need someone to balance out my obsessive-compulsive tendencies.

The other day Norah finished feeding and was laying on my lap all sprawled out and looked like she was drunk on milk, she opened her eyes and looked up at me then giggled!! It was great! I love those moments!

I think it's hard when you want to complain about things that are hard about being a mom because some people don't seem too fond of that, but it has nothing to do with how much I love Norah. I feel better when I get it out.

So in case you are curious or still reading, some of the things that have helped with the supply was drinking more water, taking an herb called fenugreek and having a beer. I'm not a huge fan of beer, but it was nice to have one because I wanted one so bad when I was pregnant. Every time I would smell beer I thought it was the greatest smelling thing ever! I have also been pumping for 15 minutes after she feeds, but I honestly do not know if that has helped me too much so far. I'm sticking with it, so we will see.

Well, thanks for enduring all of that. That was way longer than I ever planned.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So this is sheer noseyness and not in any way criticizing or intended to make you go crazy with worry...
I thought that any alcohol consumption is bad b/c it is passed on to the baby? Someone once told me that everytime she drank a beer the next day her baby had horrible gas! Again, I was surprised she could drink beer and her comment always was "well, it's not advised". Of course, I don't have kids so what do I know...
You two are such wonderful parents I hope you know how lucky you are to have each other and how lucky Norah is to have you as her parents...

Rachel Elek said...

Good question, I should have addressed that. If you drink any alcohol, which it should be little and not more than one drink, you just need to wait two hours afterwards before nursing or pumping and the alcohol is out of the breastmilk.

Thanks for you encouraging words to whoever you are!

Anonymous said...

hey rachie! i hope for your sake that you and norah are able to settle into a routine soon that you are both happy with...i know how stressful it can be! but regardless of what you choose to do - my unsolicited advice is not to feel like the breatmilk/formula choice defines you as a mom (even though other moms might try to make you feel like that). you love her and she'll get that no matter where her food comes from. :)
take care,
kel

Rachel Elek said...

A friend of mine e-mailed this since she couldn't post it so i thought i would include it for her in case others need suggestions and encouragement.

**********

I couldn't respond to your blog...can't remember my password...

What I was told as the best remedy for low milk production was to stay in bed for 24 hours with the baby, allowing the baby to nurse whenever s/he wanted. Of course you need someone to wait on you hand and foot and bring you lots of fluids - but that should be a surefire remedy.

You are also probably producing more milk than you think. If she looks drunk (I've seen that) I'm sure you are doing fine. You wont feel so "full" all the time after a few months, but bellieve me that milk is still there in full force -- as my sister in law can attest, whose 8 month old decided one day to stop nursing, with no warning or time to decrease the supply! yipes!

You are doing great and whatever is working for your family is what is best for you and your baby! In several months this will barely be on the radar... (and I wished my kids would have taken a bottle...just one! We were using sippy cups by 4 months...so you are doing great that she will take them all)

hang in there, girl! We all go thru that crazy stage when it is so challenging. In a year or so you will be saying "I want another one of these fun kids" :) and with kid number two nursing will be so, so much easier!! you'll be a pro!

Unknown said...

Rachel,
I read this and laughed because, I could have wrote it or BJ could have wrote it for me.
I would get so tired of pumping and feeding and would say: "I cannot wait to be done" and then the next moment I would worry that I am not pumping enough for him.
When we get together, we will be able to laugh together with these stories.
You are a great parent, hang in there. Someone told me once (after I expressed some worry over Isaac) that worrying is the sign of a good parent!
PS: A half a glass of red wine works wonders as well.

Rachel Elek said...

Thanks for everyone's comments! It's really helpful! I will have to try the 24 hour thing Cami. I will need to work that out with my husband though probably on a weekend and that may not be able to happen for two weekends from now! I will let you know how we do when we try it!

Thanks Kelly! It was helpful to talk to you on the phone the other day too. I hope this topic doesn't consume me for too much longer. I have moments of wanting to stop, but I am going to try to go for a couple more months and see what happens.

Keep leaving comments friends! I think this could help others too!

Joshua said...

I just wanted to say: One thing I've found helpful is to be a girl. I have tried everything I can think of shy of estrogen shots, and my milk supply just won't come in. So, I think the biggest thing in the whole process is to be a girl in the first place. Oh, and having a baby seems to be important too.

Just my $0.02

Anonymous said...

I've heard of guys that produce milk...this should intrique Josh as much as the napolean thing...

A breast is a breast. Male lactation is physiologically possible and, according to Dr. Robert Greenblatt, production in males can be stimulated by letting a baby suckle for several weeks. Indeed some human males secrete milk at birth and at puberty.Historically, male lactation was noted by the German explorer Alexander Freiherr von Humboldt prior to 1859, who wrote of a 32-year-old man who breastfed his child for five months. It was also observed in a 55-year-old Baltimore man who had been the wetnurse of the children of his mistress.
http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/miscarticles/milkmen.html

Tim and Deane said...

Rachel, everything you are feeling is so normal. And the advice of your friends here is oh so true.

 
I wonder how long it will take Rachel to find out that her husband wrote a note at the bottom of her blog. (July 9, 2008) ;)